As far as I am concerned nutrition is the foundation of health. After years as a strength coach, and personal trainer, I have seen that people consistently struggle with dialing in their nutrition more than any other factor of health and fitness. With this weeks podcast episode in mind, I offer a few simple strategies that may help you get this often challenging aspect of your personal health and fitness routine, under control.
FIRST: The hard facts!
There is no supplement to increase personal discipline!
You can’t out work a bad eating plan!
Quality Nutrition controls hormonal response (a calorie is not always calorie)
– Insulin – triggers fat storage (too much sugar)
– Glucagon – triggers fat burning (favoring protein dominant meals)
Don’t make excuses…
– “Everything in moderation”, is a set up for failure!
– Learn to eat High-Quality food year-round, (without gorging!)
– Take some responsibility for your actions!
Nutritional Strategies for long term success!
Control Quality -1 week.
– First control Quality.
– This alone may help control frequency and quantity.
Control Frequency -1 week.
– With controlled quality, frequency is easier to control.
– It also controls energy levels and insulin response.
Control Quantity -1-week.
– By this time – the quantities of food are naturally smaller.
– More nutrient dense and thermic foods.
Start eating more High-Quality foods. If it is in a box, bag, or can, and has a label don’t eat it. Strive for Free-Range Organic Meats. Raw, Organic, full-fat dairy. Chicken and eggs from Free-Range chickens. Local fresh fruits and vegetables (try the Farmer’s Market).
You will burn calories breaking down whole foods – as much as 300 additional calories per day (i.e. the Thermic Effect of food).
Processed foods should be avoided.
Eat 3 & 2 (3 meals and 2 snacks every day). DO NOT SKIP MEALS.*
*If ONLY CRAP is available – Use this as an unexpected time to fast.
Remember, sometimes it’s okay to be hungry.
You have to feed the person you want to be, not the person you are right now!
By now – your stomach has shrunk a bit and you are eating less anyway!!
When you’re full – stop eating.
Eat slow to give your blood sugar time to go up a little and signal you that you are full; you’ll eat less.
Feed your ideal bodyweight and add a 0. If you want to weigh 130 lbs. eat 1300 calories over 5-6 meals!!
Don’t miss exercise sessions. You don’t miss emails, texts, phone calls, and FACEBOOK, don’t miss your exercise!
– Have healthy snacks ready everywhere!
Keep non-perishable foods around, and carry a small cooler!
– Nuts & seeds (walnuts. Almonds, Brazil nuts)
– Hard-boiled eggs, String Cheese
– Apples, Celery stalks
You’ll eat less!
– Have a healthy Protein Snack before you go food shopping!
– Have a healthy Protein Snack before you go to a party!
Don’t buy junk food.
– If it does not belong in your stomach it does not belong in your House / kitchen!
Well…there you have it. some simple strategies to aid you on your personal quest for lifelong health and fitness. Remember, nutrition is the foundation of health. Take the ideas I have outlined above and put them into practice today!